Wednesday 9 January 2013

Quit Your Day Job: Gilded Notes


http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2012/quit-your-day-job-gilded-notes/

Tell us about your shop and the idea behind it.I run a musical shop called Gilded Notes. Music has always been an integral part of my life. I played my first notes on the violin at age eight and still enjoy playing with my husband and mom (an amazing banjo player) in our little “band.” Whatever I’m doing, I love to be surrounded with music all the time, and it’s important to me that my work be imbued with my love of music.
When I first started selling on Etsy, I began as a decoupage artist, using images from old sheet music covers to create collages and decorate keepsake boxes. I had scraps and pieces left over that I didn’t want to waste. I began creating jewelry with them, and Gilded Noteswas born! I love what I do because it’s a way for me to share my passion for music, romance, and the past with the world. Basically, I get to play with old sheet music all day and indulge in my hopelessly romantic tendencies. As an autoharp- and violin-playing ex-archaeologist, I’m pretty sure I’ve found my calling!
Tell us about your previous working situation and how you discovered Etsy.After graduating in 2008 with my MA in Historical Archaeology, I struggled with finding employment. When I got engaged a year later, a friend sent me a link to a vintage wedding dress on Etsy. I was instantly hooked! Even though I didn’t plan to sell anything on Etsy, it made me pick up some old hobbies and start creating again. (I also snagged a mega gorgeous vintage gown for my wedding.)
After I started selling on Etsy, I continued to work a series of part-time jobs to help make ends meet. I knew none of them were for me, but I didn’t think I could seriously make a go of my Etsy business either — thankfully, I was so wrong.
What steps did you take to prepare for transitioning into full time Etsy selling?
When I finally decided to make the leap to full time on Etsy, I was working as a part-time florist. As fun as the job could be, I realized that by working for someone else I was seriously short-changing my business. I wasn’t able to make as much, list as much, and sell as much, because I had to be at work so often. The holidays are busy for florists, and it killed me that I had to spend so much time away from my business. I knew that if I wanted Gilded Notes to flourish, I had to invest real time in it.
The first thing I did when I quit my job was to take an online class for creative small business owners. It was immensely helpful. I was able to identify my target market, work on my branding, and most importantly, figure out what I wanted from my business.
What is your favorite part of the process in jewelry making?I love getting comfy on the couch, putting on some music, and poring over my stacks of sheet music. I love that when I open an old sheet music book, I never know what I’m going to find. Some pieces are over a hundred years old — just think of all the hands that have touched them, the people who have hummed the songs, played them on their piano, cried with them, sang them to their children. It’s an amazing honor to be able to work with such storied pieces of the past. I’d like to think that each piece is continuing its journey, bringing joy and love to people as jewelry.
What are your best marketing tips?
  • Get out there! Sell at shows, shop at shows, talk to people, hand out business cards. The Internet is great for reaching a broad audience, but nothing beats networking in person. Craft shows account for a huge chunk of my sales, both in person and for driving traffic to my shop.
  • Find a few social media sites that you enjoy and focus on those. Setting up accounts is super fun (I am a serial account opener-upper), but having a million sites that you sporadically post on doesn’t really accomplish anything. Pick a few (preferably where your target market is), build an audience, and have fun promoting.
  • Have a brand, and don’t be scared to talk about it. For the longest time I couldn’t define my brand, and when people asked me what I did, I couldn’t give a confident answer. Invest in business cards, pick some colors, work on your packaging, and have a clear idea of what your business is.
  • Put yourself in everything you do. Anyone can walk into a big box store and buy a piece of jewelry. What can you offer your customer that’s unique? You. People want to know about you and your story; it’s what makes your creations special. Write handwritten notes, leave prompt feedback, and go out of your way to make a connection with your customers.
  • Teams. There’s power in numbers! Joining local, treasury, and promotion teams on Etsy has had a huge impact on my business. The advice, help, and support I’ve gotten from my teammates is invaluable, and I have made some lifelong friends that way.
What’s been your most popular item or line to date?Men’s items. Guys like to be fancy, too! A lot of brides are buying their fiancés cufflinks and tie clips (thank you, Mad Men).
My simple necklaces with just a word or two and notes are by far my most popular item. It’s special to find one word that you really connect with and be able to wear that near your heart. I think that speaks to people.
What have you found to be an unsuccessful promotion?Before I had a solid idea of who my target market was, I wasted a lot of time and money on ads that didn’t get seen by the right people.
Made any business mistakes you regret?I’ve found creative ways to turn my mistakes into opportunities. Why didn’t that ad work? Do I need to re-write it, or is it in the wrong place? That kind of thing. Even signing up for shows that turn out to be a bust sales-wise usually pay off in the long run. I’m able to get my name out there, and people are picking up business cards and finding me on Etsy.
What is the biggest challenge you face during your daily schedule?
Not having someone to tell you what to do or when to do it can be liberating, but it can also be overwhelming. When you’re the creator, shipper, accountant, photographer, and everything in between, it’s easy to get distracted by aspects of the work that take you away from the real art. Making a to-do list every morning really helps me stay on task and prioritize.
What’s the hardest part about running your own business?When it’s just you at home, it can definitely get a little lonely. Our three cats and dog get their fair share of one-sided conversations with me throughout the day. Besides that, I have a hard time with bookkeeping and being organized. It’s just downright not fun and I would rather not deal with it, but the payoff of working for myself, doing something I love, is worth the headaches and aggravation.
What do you enjoy most about not having a day job?
Where to start?! I no longer feel like I’m giving over so much of my life to someone else. My time is my own, and my success depends on how I use it. If I need to take a mental health day, I don’t need to ask permission. If I have a great new idea, I can just run with it. I really cannot imagine going back to a traditional job.
What is the most exciting thing that has come out of selling your designs through Etsy?For me, it is probably the personal interactions. Like getting an email from a customer telling me about why they chose a certain piece and what it means to them. Or working with a bride to surprise her husband on their wedding day with a special gift. People have come to craft shows because they’ve seen my Etsy shop and tell me how much they love my stuff. These are things that I can only do because of Etsy, and I’m so thankful for that opportunity.
What advice would you give someone considering a similar path?
  • You can always find excuses and reasons why you can’t take the plunge. It’s scary, especially when money is tight, but if you have a passion and are willing to work hard, you owe it to yourself to try. Life is too short to be unhappy with what you do. And if it doesn’t work the first time, don’t close that door forever. There were definitely times when I was out of work and Etsy was my only income, but it wasn’t enough. I kept working and dreaming, and eventually, it happened.
  • Invest in education. Take a class to improve a skill. Buy some new supplies to experiment with a new design. Find a course on business management. Never be complacent; you can always improve and grow.
  • Make sure you have a support system. I know it’s romantic to believe that you are going to do everything on your own, but it’s just not realistic. It’s ok to ask for help.
Anything else you would like to share?I am just continually inspired by all the amazing, creative people I have met on Etsy. Without them, I probably would have given up long ago.
Big thanks to Etsy for allowing me to follow my dream and have so much fun along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment